Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Spring Creek 05/18/09

On Monday I decide to make the 2 hour trip up to Spring Creek for wily brown trout. I arrived on stream @ 2:00 pm and fished for about for hour with no luck. Sulfur's were hatching sporadically all day. About 6:00 the Sulfurs starting hatching in earnest. There were big yellow eastern sulfurs (Size 14) and orange miniature eastern sulfurs (size 18). At about 6:30, the fish decided to feed on the surface. That's when things got interesting. The fish were rising but the were divided into three categories: Those taking the small Sulfur duns, those taking emerging sulfurs, and those taking a little of all three. After several frantic fly changes and refusals, I finally arrived at formula that worked. I went with a traditional size 14 dun trailed by a size 18 yellow sulfur emerger. Most of the fish went after the emerger pattern. I was positioned in the run and pool below the handicap platform. After landing fish in the middle of the pool and tail end. I switched to a size 16 no hackle dun and was able to full a few more fish in deep run. By the end of the day, I landed about 7-8 trout all about 10-14 inches. Due to technical difficulties, there are no pictures.

Curly

1 comment:

stew said...

Technical difficulties Huh. Sounds a little funny to me. I need proof Curli when are you going to learn this.